Friday, March 25, 2011

Handcrafted wands, a ticket to Hogwarts, and a magical birthday present

Last weekend Ran and I had some fun with a "Harry Potter" themed birthday gift for my nephew, Will. Our gift idea began in the form of a Hogwarts wallet from the Disney store. But then we saw this picture of Will—asleep with the lights on and The Prisoner of Azkaban locked in his grip:


There was no question that we needed to send him the most awesome Harry Potter birthday gift ever. It began with some computer time and whittling:


It continued on to admission letters, train tickets, sorting hat cards, Bertie Bott's "Every Flavor" Beans, and two of the most amazing wands you have ever seen:










Filled with Phoenix Tail Feathers, Dragon Heartstrings, and a whole lot of love from his aunt and uncle, this magical gift will truly delight! We even included extra train tickets for his wizard friends and a wand for his little brother, Matt.

UPDATE: you can download the PDF files for the letter, ticket, schedule, and sorting hat cards by clicking here.

8 comments:

  1. That is the coolest thing ever!! If there was an award for aunt and uncle of the year, you guys would get it, hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Lauren! I can't even begin to tell you how fun this was to do. If you ever want to make your own, I can send you templates for the letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I think this is amazing , I was just hunting for gift ideas for my nephew and came across this site, is there any possibility you may be able to send me a template or an example so I can work on something similar. I am not currently a member of this site. Kind regards, and well done, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline - thanks so much! This week I will update this page with some links to download a PDF of the letter template pages. Check back on Friday and they should be up. I got all of the copy for the letters from the actual books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Will was ready to compose a letter to his principal explaining that he would not be attending school next year because he had been accepted to Hogwarts. Matthew told his mother he was sorry she was only a muggle. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this - thank you so much for the templates!!! What font is used for the text - so I can match the name (e.g., "Dear Tom") to the letter in the right font? Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I used a font called "Old Style" Here is a link to download a free version: http://www.dafont.com/oldstyle-hplhs.font

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Kate!!! You're my hero! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...